Lot 1, 2 Wombat Street, Gunning
Located in the heart of the quaint NSW township of Gunning a mere 60km (approximately) from Canberra is a uniquely exciting opportunity to own the original 1847 Gunning Police Barracks and Court of Petty Sessions building. As featured in the ABC TV Series “Who’s Been Sleeping in my House”, the traditional Colonial era property retains many of its original design features from fire places, Australian cedar doors, architraves and skirting, timber lined ceilings and even the original jail cells below. The original building is of ‘brick nog’ construction which entails a timber stud wall with brick infill, covered with weatherboard outside and plaster inside.
Retained by the current owners for almost 3 decades, the property has been sympathetically extended enhancing the original layout to now include 2 additional wings connected to the main house by wide verandas. Each wing consists of 2 generous bedrooms and a bathroom, the master includes an impressive dressing room and features zoned ducted gas heating. The second wing features ducted reverse cycle air conditioning. The main bathroom is complete with claw foot bath, separate shower, basin and toilet, while the second bathroom offers the same without a bath. All rooms have access to the verandas, the western side of which is protected by Café blinds. Every effort has been made to replicate the style and fittings of the original building.
The main living areas include a formal lounge and formal dining room complete with French doors, generous timber windows and an authentic colonial colour scheme throughout. The family room adjoins the solid timber kitchen and highly sought after Butler’s Pantry. These rooms combine to form the hub of the home and invoke cohesion and effortless flow through to the prominent courtyard beyond. The original building features ducted gas central heating and a large slow combustion heater.
The verandahs and courtyard combine to form an entertainment area that your family and friends are sure to embrace.
Three large sheds including a large workshop complete with 3 phase power and functioning hoist. One shed includes a tack room, feed room, hay shed, float and car parking (with automatic door) and opens onto the paddock where there is currently a round yard. Situated within the 3000sqm perimeter, making this property highly sought after and completely functional no matter what you rural needs may be.
• Historically significant, sympathetically extended colonial home complete with original jail cells underneath
• Spacious unique layout with centralized courtyard and large verandah overhangs
• Authentic timber design features throughout, ceilings, skirting and mantles
• Four well proportioned bedrooms with courtyard access
• Two feature packed bathrooms, claw foot bath, subway tiles and brass fixtures
• Solid timber kitchen with “Aga Falcon” cooker and Butler’s pantry
• Generous unified living areas, formal lounge, dining and family room
• Classic country styling, elevated timber lined ceilings, French Windows and doors
• Extensive 3000sqm land allotment, numerous sheds, large workshop with 3 phase power and hoist plus round yard
• Set amidst rolling hills with quaint township facilities, friendly community
• Approximately 60km from Canberra, 45km from Goulburn and just minutes to Gundaroo.